Should You Take a Probiotic?
The short answer is: yes. Probiotics are the “good” bacteria in your gut that maintain your digestive health and boost your immune system. The following tells you how.
Benefits of Taking Probiotics:
Our lower intestinal track is filled with microbes that help us to digest food, fight harmful bacteria, and regulate the immune system. If we are eating and living well, this balance of good versus harmful bacteria keeps our bodies healthy and functioning properly. But sometimes an imbalance can occur. This leads to diarrhea, constipation, and other health problems. When our gut becomes imbalances with more harmful bacteria, supplemental probiotics can restore the balance. They are commonly used to:
- reduce gastrointestinal symptoms such as gas, bloating, and constipation
- keep you producing regular bowel movements
- keep your bowel movements healthy
Some people who take a probiotic also benefit in the following ways:
- Probiotics can keep your heart healthy
- Probiotics can help to improve certain mental health conditions (1, 2)
- Probiotics may reduce certain allergies
- Probiotics may clear up eczema and other skin conditions
- Probiotics may help boost your immune system
- Probiotics may help you lose weight and belly fat
- Probiotics have been shown to lower blood pressure
- Several probiotics have been shown to lower total and LDL cholesterol levels (3, 4).
Exhausted? Low Libido? Can't Sleep?
If so, you may have a hormonal imbalance. Fill out the form below to learn about our Revitalogy Hormone Optimization programs at RevitalIV. Or, give us a call at: 561-406-2202
How To Take a Probiotic:
Probiotics are available in supplemental form and through the intake of certain foods. Foods that contain natural probiotics are:
- fermented foods, such as sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.
- Dark Chocolate
- Greek Yogurt
- Green Peas
However, one of the best ways to get the appropriate amount of probiotics is through an oral supplement.
The Best Way to Take a Probiotic:
The best way to make sure you are getting the right amount of healthy bacteria in your gut is to take an oral supplement. The best probiotic supplements will include at least these three most important bacterium strains:
L. acidophilus This is, arguably, the most important strain of the Lactobacillus species and, it readily colonizes on the walls of the small intestine. It supports nutrient absorption and helps with the digestion of dairy foods.
B. longum Like L. acidophilus, B. Longum is one of the most common bacteria found in the digestive tracts of adults, and it helps maintain the integrity of the gut wall. It is particularly active as a scavenger of toxins.
B. bifidum This strain, found in both the small and large intestine, is critical for the healthy digestion of dairy products. This is especially important as you grow older and your natural ability to digest dairy declines. B. bifidum also is important for its ability to break down complex carbohydrates, fat, and protein into small components that the body can use more efficiently.
Give RevitalIV a call to order your Probiotic supplement today. We are offering 25% off all of our oral supplements for the entire summer of 2018: 561-406-2202.